Calling all Angels
In Australia, there is an emergence of high-achieving professionals who are ready to embark on a pathway to angel investing.
From medical doctors to corporate superstars, you’re at a point where you can begin to pay it forward. But chances are, you’ve spent most of your time actually building your career – and entering the startup scene is another thing entirely.
Spread your wings – and your impact
In March 2019, The Hacker Exchange will host a select cohort of professionals for an intensive, value-packed week in Silicon Valley – the innovation capital of the world.
We’ll guide you through the burning questions asked by emerging investors, introduce you to leading VCs, angels and startup founders in the Bay Area, and show you best practice for being a board member or advisor so you can make the most meaningful economic and social impact.
The nuts and bolts
|Dates||24-30 March 2019, pending EOI|
|Destination||San Francisco, CA, USA|
|Available delegate places||Minimum 10
|Cost||$9,500 AUD + GST|
Invest in your first portfolio company
- A percentage of program fees are pooled to allow each Emerging Angel cohort to make a syndicated angel investment.
- On conclusion of your program, you will have the opportunity to review real startup pitches and term sheets, and apply early-stage investment decision making
- As a cohort, you can choose to award syndicated funds to an emerging Australian startup.
- Founders are vetted and will have participated in The Hacker Exchange’s global startup program (Silicon Valley, Israel or Singapore).
- As an individual investor, you will also have the opportunity to make separate or follow-up funding to vetted startups.
Who should come?
This intensive is appropriate for:
- High net worth individuals
- Sophisticated investors
- Angel investors (emerging or aspiring)
- Corporate venture professionals
- SMSF / Family office investors
- Professional advisors to any of the above
It goes without saying that you should be curious, open minded, and ready to exponentially expand your network.
Who will we meet?
Our team will curate a diverse and fascinating list of experts to speak with us – as a group, or 1:1 depending on your interests. Drawing on our extensive network in Venture Capital, Angel groups, accelerators, founders, mentors, government and ecosystem engineers, we’ll ensure you have the chance to have meaningful conversations and build professional relationships that last.
Professional learning outcomes
At the end of this program, you’ll have answers to the following questions, and many more:
- How much and what kind of capital is right for my investment style?
- What is an appropriate deal size for me?
- What due diligence and screening should I apply to startups?
- What financial performance should I expect in the short and long term?
- How can I leverage my skills to be the best possible advisor or board member?
- How do the experts read and negotiate a term sheet?
- What do I need to know about the tax and legal implications?
- What macro and tech trends are Bay Area investors looking at?
- How can I ensure my investment is also making a social impact?
- Where can I find great emerging startups to invest in?
How to apply
Online expressions of interest will be followed by a 1:1 conversation with a member of The Hacker Exchange team. This will help us ensure that the program meets your needs, and that you’re guaranteed to travel and learn with like-minded professionals.
- Expressions of interest will close on 14 December 2018.
- The delegation list will be finalised by 18 January 2019 at the latest.